Pagan Blog Prompt 2012 ~ Week 2 ~ Goddess Aurora

merry meet,

It's that time of the week again when I take part in the Pagan Blog Prompt 2012 for week 2. This week concludes our blogs on the letter *A* and I have chosen to write about a Goddess that is lesser known than some of the others. I haven't made this blog post too philosophical rather I've allowed my inner child to come through as I sit in awe and admiration of a wonderful Goddess.


The Goddess Aurora


It may seem obvious to why I've chosen to write about Aurora seeing as I am named after her. My Mum always told me from when I was very young that although she intended to name me Felicity Faye Amanda Pearl, when the nurses asked her what she was going to call me, she simply said, "Aurora". She never understood why for a long time until both her and I began to look into the meaning of the name Aurora. We knew there was a disney film, Sleeping Beauty where the princess was called Aurora (which I love!) and I happen to enjoy sleeping...alot :) Which coninsides with the fact that my actual nick-name given to me by my father was "Snow White" as I have 'Hair as black as ebony, skin as white as snow and lips as red as blood'.
We obviously knew that it meant "of the dawn", meaning "of the morning", and that when you awake early enough you can see the sunrise and also the dew left on the grass which are said to show the faeries have been there. That obviously makes sense as I work with the faeries and am known as *The Faerie Whisperer*. Yet interestingly mythology states that the dew drops of Aurora's tears that she sheds daily for the loss of her son as she flies across the skies to open the heavens gates to allow the Sun to light up the skies.

More connections came through when we searched deeply into the significance and meaning of the actual Goddess Aurora. Aurora is a Roman Goddess that is linked to the Greek Goddess Eos. She is also the patron goddess of the wind/air element of the North, East, South and West. Being a libran I found this fascinating as Libra is an astrological air sign. As you can see from the picture above of Aurora she is depicted as having wings that look a lot like angel wings. The more I discovered about her the more I realised that in fact we do have a lot in common, as I work with the angels both personally and professionally. Aurora renews herself every morning and flies across the sky to announce the arrival of the Sun. She also has two siblings, Luna (moon) and Sol (Sun) ...(I think we all are aware of how much I love the Moon energies and the warmth and energy of the Sun).

I found a beautiful quote which to me portrays just how powerful being awake and up to bask in Aurora's energies can be. In Chapter 2 of Walden, Where I Lived and What I Lived for, Henry David Thoreau states:

"Every morning was a cheerful invitation to make my life of equal simplicity, and I may say innocence, with Nature herself. I have been as sincere a worshipper of Aurora as the Greeks. I got up early and bathed in the pond; that was a religious exercise, and one of the best things which I did."

I love this especially as in the spring and summer especially I love getting up around 4:30am-5am to sit in the Auroric energies and welcome the day ahead.

Aurora was also mentioned in the famous Shakespeare play *Romeo and Juliet* and being the romantic that I am, I oohed and aahhed over it.

"But all so soon as the all-cheering sun Should in the furthest east begin to draw The shady curtains from Aurora's bed, Away from the light steals home my heavy son..."

of course there are many interpretations of this quote from Shakespeare, and i'm no Shakespeare expert, so my own interpretation blends in with the belief that Aurora was a very loving goddess in that she fell in love many times and had many lovers (unlike me) and as Romeo was falling in love with Juliet, it was likened to the Goddess Aurora and her love of loving others.


There is no other goddess of whom we have so many beautiful descriptions in the poets.

Goddess Aurora is particularly good to call upon with issues concerned with passion and rebirth/renewal.

I personally love this Goddess and have learnt that something as simple as getting out of bed on a morning can be so so magickal in that if we take the chance to glance out of the window and bid her Good Morning and give her a blessing for the day ahead and thank her for the blessings she has given us daily, we can set ourselves up for a magickal day ahead.

I hope everyone has enjoyed reading this blog post as much as I enjoyed putting it together.

From the Goddess Aurora, and Myself (Aurora),
we offer you many Goddess Blessings for your days ahead. xxxxx

1 comment

  1. Wow! :D I love this post. You have inspired me to learn more about that particular goddess.

    ReplyDelete