Pagan Blog Project 2012 -Wk 5 ~ CRAFT NAME



Merry Meet,



Week 5 greets us not only with the energy of a wonderfully blessed Imbolc but of the Pagan Blog Project – C part 1.

I had initially thought of blogging about the Magickal circle we Pagan folk use when conducting a ritual and spell casting, but the Goddess came to me late last night just as I was about to drift off to Fairyland for a meeting with Queen Mab, and told me to write about the Magickal Names we sometimes chose or have given to us as we walk a moonlit pathway of the Goddess. So I will honour the goddesses’ guidance and write about “CRAFT NAMES”.

When I first read about the art of having a craft name I must have been about 14 years old when I read it in Silver RavenWolf’s book (Love or loathe her – I appreciate her writing style).  I felt excited at the prospect of having a name that I chose all for myself. I had always fancied myself as a Crystal MirrorWind or Amethyst RavenMoon, but however lovely those names sounded, it wasn’t for me. I began to think about things and aspects of myself that were true to me. A long soul search later I was dedicated to the Lord and Lady as; Opal AutumnWynd. Let me explain;

Opal ~ my birthstone, Autumn ~ my favourite time of year along with also being the Season of my Birth, and Wynd ~ A spin off of ‘wind’  the element I belong to being of the Sylphs and being a Libran.

However as I grew in both age and craft knowledge I received a visit from the Moon Goddess Artemis one night as we experienced a Waxing moon and she told me that my new craft name was *Aurora MoonMaiden*. She explained the reasoning behind this and it resonated within me. So I have transitioned from Opal AutumnWynd to Aurora MoonMaiden.

I use my craft name sometimes when signing articles or writing blog entries, or emails/letters to fellow Craft friends but mainly use them when speaking with the Goddess or performing a ritual.

I do have a secret craft name that only the Goddess, God and I know, and I like it that way. Sometimes it really is nice to have that little corner of sanctuary in your own life where only you and the Gods know. I know I value the secret of my Craft name and I assume many more of us out there also value it for perhaps the same reasons, or perhaps a more varied reasoning applies. That’s fine.

If there is one thing that I have learnt on my pagan pathway, it is that you absolutely follow your heart in all you do. You do what feels right to you and you honour the God & Goddess within, by doing so, you truly are being the Witch Inside.

Blessed Be,
Aurora MoonMaiden  


All written content on this blog is the work of © Aurora Brierley, The Faerie Whisperer & The Witch Inside. No written contents of this blog may be reproduced in any way (in part or in entirety) without the express written permission of the author, © Aurora Brierley, The Faerie Whisperer & The Witch Inside.

7 comments

  1. Lovely - I have yet to be given a craft name - bunni is a nickname from years ago - but who knows maybe that is my craft name :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nifty. So following your example, I would be Aquamarine AutumnFire. Well, I love the second bit, but the Aquamarine part is just too much. :-) Fun and interesting post. ~)O(~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome post as I have been thinking of a Wicca/Magickal name for blogging, tweeting and more specifically, for speaking to my Goddess. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are all most welcome. Thank you for reading my blog.

    Witchfire... perhaps you could shorten it to Aqua? Maybe... or wait for something else that speaks to you. I love the name AutumnFire... especially as it reminds me of the autumnal leaves all fiery and orange. Beautiful imagery.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love my craft name...it is my connection to the devine. Nice article.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thia was really a beautiful post and story . I have had 4 names one for each stage of life the first name by my grandmother as an infant , then as a child , then as mother then now just the last 4 yrs as crone . This is the aboriginal way as the 4 stages of the moon such is life . as we grow we change it is not uncommon for people to have several names throughout life .
    Thank You for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was interesting to read about someone who's found their craft name as I never quite understood the concept myself - or rather, as I never saw the need to have one.

    ReplyDelete